Here’s my take on a carbonara that’s lower in carbs but definitely delivers on taste. You can always add extra vegetables or go half and half and add wholemeal spaghetti as well as the courgette. This recipe came from me having to use up things in the fridge so feel free to experiment, I sometimes use sour cream or crème fraiche in place of cream, but this week all I had was cream. Enjoy!
- Glug of olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small courgette’s spiralised
- 4 rashers of bacon or 4-5 slices of good quality ham (for this recipe I used smoked chicken slices)
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 red chili pepper diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of double cream
- 2 eggs yolks
- Salt and pepper to season
In a large frying pan or wok on a medium heat sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil, until softened. Whilst this is cooking whisk the cream and egg yolks together and add some salt and pepper to taste.
Add the bacon and red peppers and chili if using, and cook until any uncooked meat is cooked through.
Add the courgette and mix everything together before finally adding the egg and cream mix. Once you’ve added the cream mix, turn up the heat and stir the sauce to evenly coat everything and cook for around 5 minutes. Serve with a side salad.