For a tasty tapas, satisfying side or a healthy lunch try my tasty caponata!
- Glug of Olive Oil
- 1 roughly chopped aubergine
- A sprinkle of rosemary
- 1 diced onion
- 1 clove off chopped or crushed garlic
- ½ red pepper
- 1 Beef Tomato chopped
- 1 Red Chili chopped finely – seeds removed for a less spicy hit or keep them in to feel the heat
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Handful of fresh or frozen spinach ( fresh works best however if you don’t have it to hand I find it’s useful to keep a bag of frozen in the freezer)
Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan with a lid, add the aubergine and rosemary and cook on a high heat until the aubergine starts to turn a golden colour.
Then reduce the heat and add the onion and garlic, then pop the lid on sweat the onions for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil, then drop to the lowest heat for 10-15 minutes until the mixture has soften and reduced down.
Serve on top of rye bread for a tasty lunch, or as a side to your main meal, when I’m not going meat free it makes a delicious side to lamb burgers on a BBQ, or to accompany some salmon.